Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Non-Fiction


What Fits
by SuniD

The concert in Memorial Park was regenerating, something I hadn’t done in years. The lethargic adults hoarded blanket space. While the children who outnumbered them played chase on grass trails, which emerged spontaneously between groups of grown-ups.
The music was popular in my childhood. Stuff dad used to blast in the Volkswagen bug while we spun snow cookies. I took my nine-year-old son down front to fully experience the atmosphere of the thing. I remembered singing and dancing the same “Locomotion” with my mother and brother at about the same age. Though I doubt my brother would admit knowing the words today.
Fireworks filled the air with electricity before groupies could even think of clearing the stage gear. Children sat wide-eyed, tangled in free glow strings, thanks to our sponsors. We were absorbing the explosive display, burning it into our retinas and memories, when two ghosts from my junior high days tapped me on the back.
Last time I saw Jimbo, he was falling backward into an original Adam’s Family pinball machine at the Skate-A-Long. The head, like all sensitive spots, bleeds a lot. Jim got six stitches in his head from my playful push, but I moved out of town before making amends. We had only known each other about a year, but something about small town bonding sticks.
I barely pushed him, but he was on roller skates. Inline skates were still a big deal in the early nineties, so you couldn’t rent them. The current generation, my son included, can’t visualize the wheels forming a square. In a world where skates braked in the front, Jim fell backward. I don’t even remember what smart-assed remark provoked me.
The adult version of Jim shrugged and said, “Shit happens when you’re skating.” Now there’s barely a scar to remember me by.

The other apparition was Sugar, a younger girl I might have teased too much. In fact, that nickname came from something I said on a bus ride after school. Whatever it was, the name stuck. She was a grade below me, so I lectured her about wasting cigarettes by not inhaling once. We both ran with outcasts: skaters, criminals, thugs. Picking on people was akin to making friends.
I had known her about the same length of time as Jim, but never in conjunction with one another. I guess they hooked up a couple years ago. Now they oozed happy couple, one graduating, and the other entering grad school. I still have a year to go before I get my four-year degree. Amazing how those obvious age gaps between seventh and eighth graders disintegrate in the late twenties.
My son was heading to a sleepover, so I invited myself to the after-party at Jim’s neighbors. We hot-footed it from the park, herded into pedestrian clusters for the sake of traffic control. I followed, never sure which way to go, until we saw the line of cars leading to the shindig. They could have hired a valet.
The host charged drinkers five bucks, calling it a benefit for a resident cancer victim who wasn’t even present. We mixed our own drinks and walked next door. The naïve patrons were high school seniors and college freshmen. After awhile, they forgot we hadn’t paid. The booze was in the garage and I started that way at one point, but I faltered at the image of children coupling through the window. The scene was a pack of bipeds, training for future sport-bar breeding pools. Guys held themselves upright by throwing their burly arms over the flimsy shoulders of the two nearest girls. The girls in turn giggled and blushed, watching the set of lips closest to theirs, staking out the moment. I don’t remember ever being that obvious. Never. Ever.
Sugar and I passed our party time by grabbing ankles under the garage door and running away. She acted too fast on the second round and I was inadvertently trampled. One minute I was crouched, groping for the unsuspecting ligament, when Sugar landed her target, popped up and sped away, knocking me and my screwdriver off balance. My fall was short lived and my recovery graceful because I bounced away with her. Fleeing in a vodka fog, I felt the life force trickle down my shin. The skinned knee brought back memories of every two-wheel wipe-out I lived through at age nine.
We ditched the midtown garage party shortly after an impromptu limbo contest. Sugar drove us out to her snazzy pad in West O, on about a hundred-and-fiftieth and bum fuck. The pool was technically closed, but the night was hot and we felt a little frisky after spooking the brood at the kegger, drawing and spilling first blood and all.
In Sugar’s bathroom, wrestling with the strings of a borrowed swimsuit, I experienced another series of flashbacks. There was every sixth grade slumber party I wasn’t invited to, and my own twelfth birthday. My dad must have thought I needed exercise videos because he bought a whole set focusing on abs, buns, and cardio. I ended up making use of those tapes after my son was born, but at the time, it was a devastating left hook to my adolescent mind’s eye. He had me open them in front of my closest friends, right before taking us to the water slides at Peony Park. What used to be Nebraska’s largest amusement park on more than 35 acres has been relocated and privatized. I remembered the lime green two-piece I wore that day in ‘93, glanced at the tiny candy cane triangles topping the pile of rejects on Sugar’s bathroom floor, and realized my twenty-eighth birthday was two weeks away.
After fastening a sort of bow, I twisted and turned with my reflection, checking for bulges. I jumped up and down a few times, tucked my breasts back into the two vertical strips of fabric that constituted a top, and tightened the strings again.
The guest bathroom had an intense lighting design. The large round bulbs left a row of purple spots in my eyes. The figure in the mirror should have been familiar but those two strips ran from tummy to top, covered the maternity war wounds, and squished the baby bottles back into shape. I was skinnier than I remembered and made a note to eat again once my miniature midlife crisis was through.
Being summer, my son stayed at his dad’s or with friends most of the time. Without my boy, my moral compass malfunctions. I forget how to be good to myself. He’d been gone about a month, only visiting on weekends, and I had lost at least two pounds every week since. As a result, the leg and hip holes of Sugar’s swimsuit hit me in just the rights spots.
The pattern distracted the gaze from other subtle flaws. It looked as though someone used a fat black sharpie to draw a coloring book outline on white spandex. Someone else came along with yellow and hot pink and deliberately colored outside the lines. In the back, there was only the butt cover and those heroic strings.
When I left the sanctity of the bathroom time capsule, Sugar handed me an oversized blue t-shirt for the walk to the water. I wasted no time choosing sleek brown Sketchers over fat white high-tops for scaling the fence.
Opening the door onto the outside world felt like bursting into the night. We moved like bandits, stirring the wind in the wake of our train. It was late enough that we kept all eyes peeled for early birds taking their morning coffee on the terrace. We tiptoed and took long strides. Making our way through the thick quiet, we weaved in and out of six story complexes with wrought iron balconies. From the ground, they looked like fungus steps on tree trunks. I wondered if we were more insignificant than inconspicuous.
Of all the places I was never supposed to swim -- spillways, private ponds, gigantic puddles that formed in ditches during rainy season -- this one was asking for it most. I smelled the chlorine waft down the hill before spotting the six foot pin stripes that kept me from it. Ha! I could kick higher than that. Jim and Sugar held back a minute, maybe to formulate a plan. But I ran straight toward the revealing electric light where a trash can was propped against the inside; up and over, slick as butter.
Once inside, I took cover in the shadows, shed the t-shirt, kicked off the shoes, and slid into the simmering water. The chemicals stung my knee; I had completely forgotten the tender wound. I briefly wished it would scar, imagined picking the scab to ensure the mark, to remember how brave I had been once. Both feelings passed quickly.
I’m a Cancer, so I was swept up in my element. I swam to one end of the pool and back, did handstands, back flips, and that trick where I swim with no arm movements. The dark glass eyes of the buildings stayed shut, slumbering, and I settled into a back float. For a moment, the moon seemed to race east, but it was the sky below it blowing west. I wondered if smoke from the fireworks had wafted this way, mingling with the clouds, like smoldering coals in the hot bright sky.