Sunday, February 12, 2012

Non-Fiction


Domestic Creatures
by SuniD
I want a puppy, a golden lab, to match me. She will be a bitch, as protective of my house and home as I am. She will be named, “Jedadiah,” because “Jed” is a good name for a dog, one syllable, easily recognizable. Family and close friends will know to call her “Edie,” when they come in the house, so that she won’t bite them. My future husband will have to like dogs because I will love her more than him.
I will train Jed brilliantly, beginning at seven weeks, old enough to be weaned but still amused by her tail. By the time I finish, Jed will get the paper, my slippers, and cold cans of beer. She will sit, shake, lie down, play dead, kennel up, belly up, dance and retrieve lost sporting goods. She will strut proudly at my heel, her short blonde hair highlighting my own strawberry locks. Her leashes will be numerous, accessories for my many jackets and coats. My puppy will be an extension of me.

Jed will serve as my personal hot water bottle. She will let her self and the cats out in the mornings so that I can sleep an extra five minutes. Assuming the pair of toms that share a one-bedroom with me now is still around when I get Jed. Right now, I have two orange beasts, “Rascal,” and his son, “Ninja.” They work like alarm clocks more than water bottles. All I’m good for with these boys is food and litter. I have to let them outside daily or they pout. They can stay out all night if they want, but if the food in their dish doesn’t magically replenish itself at eight in the morning and eight at night, I hear about it. Ninja roams the apartment moaning like a banshee that’s just warming up. Rascal forcefully rubs against my legs and feet, and throws himself into the book I’m reading, or whatever else is in my lap. They are genuinely starved for affection. Not enough hands to go around since I evicted my live-in boyfriend. It’s funny; lack of petting was one of his complaints, too. The way they act when someone moves to touch them is embarrassing. Sometimes, I think they would have been better off leaving with my ex.
I wish he would have taken his angelfish, “The Old Mill.” It was one of many things I gave during the relationship that got left behind. It was a birthday present, to show how committed I was. Fish require a big up-front investment. Aquariums are a huge responsibility. Even deciding where to place one within the house is critical. A pocket-size Feng Shui book from the impulse counter of a gas station says that water features in the bedroom suggest financial loss. But a bubbling aquarium in the southeast corner of a room activates wealth energy. Maybe there’s not an electrical outlet in that corner. This is why fish require thought. It’s a pain to move a tank once the water is in and pumping. You also have to pre-commit, adding the chemicals at least twenty-four hours before easing the little guys into the drink.
Now, I am the goddess of a five-gallon octagonal underwater world. I decide who lives there and watch for when someone dies. Admittedly, I’m not a very dedicated creator. I go through so many snails that I stopped naming them. But twice a day, always at eight o’clock, I watch “Milly” swim back and forth, a sideways star with long front fins like feelers that keep him near the top of the tank. His black and white markings and slow, deliberate pecking remind me of a cow grazing. He is the epitome of patience.
“Sensei” is my favorite aqua pet. The store labeled him a dojo loch, and each clerk pronounced the name differently. He is sinewy like a miniature eel. In my world, Sensei is the wise old sea serpent that rules the depths. He is a finicky weather-fish that hides when the barometric pressure drops. He turns over golf balls, digs through marbles and dragon tears, flushing out every discarded crumb of food with his whiskers. He sucks it up like a vacuum, sifting it through his gills. Sensei and Milly are like night and day, but they, and a small plecostomus, “Jorge,” who mostly keeps to himself, depend on me. I change the filter regularly and rotate the cuisine, throwing in algae wafers and blood worms from time to time. It feels good to be needed.
The cats, the angelfish, and the previous half dozen animals I’ve cared for were either given to me or thrust upon me in some way. I came to their rescue, supported them, and even nursed them back to life in some instances. “Lucky Dog” was one that wandered into my life begging. An example of reaping what you sew. He came to me a scrawny, malnourished excuse for man’s best friend. He ate my hot dog, so I fed him another. I let him stay in my motor home while I was parked in a friend’s driveway, about a month. After daily doses of high protein dog food, Lucky Dog transformed into a beautiful black lab/pit-bull mix with a sleek coat, broad shoulders, and a wide jaw. I wasn’t ready to take him on full-time. The license and vet bill were out of my price range. I called the sheriff to pick Lucky up and made the deputy promise to put him in a program for farm dogs. Today pit-bull owners in my area are required to carry an extra insurance policy, so I consider myself lucky to have let him go. I never had the chance to train him properly, but he would have been a good boy. He would have been loyal.
When I get my puppy, I will already have a house, maybe the cats, and probably the fish. Jed and I will have to stick together, being the only girls in the family. She will lie next to me, probably chewing on something, while I sunbathe in my backyard. She will dig by me while I plant my spring garden. Chasing rodents away from our meager crop will be a game. And she will bring home hasenpfeffer trophies. I will have the time, space, and security she needs. In return, Jed will cuddle with me. Most animals are easy come, easy go. Snails and fish die, cats have claws and can fend for themselves if it’s worth the effort, but a puppy is a lifetime. If one of us should leave or die, the other will live with incurable loneliness.