Monday, February 27, 2012

Short Fiction


The Dollar Dance
by SuniD

The exterior of the Community Building was still undergoing renovations, but the inside had been transformed into a glowing reception hall. White lights were wrapped around banisters and draped in the darkest corners, so the honored guests were surrounded by makeshift starlight.
“Never would’ve thought of orange and purple,” said Trina on my left. “The white tuxes were a nice touch, though, don’t ya think?”
“Too much white,” is what I said. Plus, the white dress was a joke. Jessica lost her virginity in eighth grade, is what I wanted to add.
“At a wedding? Never.”
I wrapped my hand a little tighter around the red plastic cup that contained my real friend: liquid courage, bubbly comforter.
“What did you think of the ceremony? I didn’t know what side to sit on. I picked bride, since I’ve known Jess longer, but I got stuck in a back row ‘cause the place was packed.” Trina was already giddy from keg beer and her smile engulfed her flushed face. “It was on the left. Is that the bride side?”
“Yeah.” I remembered having the same sort of dilemma. My heart had said bride, but when the usher asked, my mouth had said, groom. Trina’s small talk got away from me during the brief recollection so I blurted out, “I love that the pastor called her, ‘Jennifer,’” to change the subject.

“I know! It happened at the rehearsal, too.”
“You weren’t in the wedding.”
“I went for moral support.” Trina shrugged her small shoulder into her brown locks. “Jess was freaked. She didn’t relax until the final, ‘I do.’”
I bet she had good reason to be nervous. I thought about the emphasis Jessica put on the word, “faithful,” during the vows, and watched a throng of people in their Sunday best inch along in the food line. I had passed on grub. It would have soaked up the booze. Besides, everything would have tasted as bitter as my beer.
“Is she pregnant?” I asked.
“No. I don’t think so. Why?”
“They just threw this together kind of fast,” I suggested. “They weren’t even seeing each other six months, and Tom is not the type to commit easily.”
The invitation had been an affront. More than the atrocious color scheme had made me nauseous. The gaudy announcement, so soon, had made me want to hurl, but I knew once I started, it wouldn’t have stopped until I vomited out my vital organs, my heart.
“Weren’t they on again off again for awhile before that?”
“No.” I stuck my nose in my cup. “That was Tom and me.”
“Oh. That’s right,” Trina nearly screamed her revelation, and the music wasn’t even loud yet. “You guys dated in high school.”
“Something like that,” I said in monotone, nodding. I didn’t really count the first two times Tom and I were together. They had lasted under two months each, and I had called them both off. Then, when we split up to go to college, it had been mutual. The fourth time, six months ago, he hadn’t wanted a serious relationship.
“Oh. They’re doing the dollar dance,” Trina squealed with delight. “Come on. I’m going to dance with both of them.”
Trina left her beer on the paper covered table, next to a fishbowl with a candle floating in it. I refused to abandon mine, and was careful not to slosh the dregs while she pulled me along.
“I don’t have a dollar,” I said, trying to back out.
“Here,” Trina said and handed me a crisp bill, folded in half the long way.
The line was moving fast, at two minutes per partner. What a crummy way to squeeze more loot out of the occasion, as if the mountain of gifts inside the door wasn’t enough.
“My turn,” Trina bubbled as she cut in. “Hi, Tom.”
I caught his eye for the first time and felt the dollar wrinkle in my closed fist. There wasn’t a request to R.S.V.P., and I had skipped the receiving line at the church. It would have been alright by me if he had never known I was there.
“Next,” Trina called out to me, from somewhere far away. I vaguely remember her skipping off the dance floor, and me passing my buck to someone. Mostly, I remember his face. He was genuinely happy to see me, and he said so.
“I didn’t think you were going to make it,” Tom said and wrapped his arms around me.
His arms were strong. He smelled the same, and I tried to smile when I said, “I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.”
We swayed back and forth to Journey’s Open Arms and memories floated between our eyes. There were homecoming dances, prom, and that night we went salsa dancing. We barely made it through the door before ripping each others clothes off.
“A dollar’s the going rate, huh?”
“I guess I’m a cheap date,” Tom joked, his perfect teeth blazing white, goatee wrinkling just inside adorable dimples.
I thought of all the things I never said to make him stay, and still couldn’t say them. I wanted to unleash my feminine wiles. At least I remembered to bring my cleavage. He stole glances at my neckline.
“I still love you, Tom,” was on the tip of my tongue, when someone tapped my shoulder.
“The dollar dance is over,” Jessica said, her smile parted as if to bite.
Her sequins strangled me, stopped me from calling her trailer trash, and a home-wrecking whore.
“You had your chance,” she said, and reached for Tom with manicured claws. “Now, it’s my turn.”
Tom drew Jessica in for a slimy lip lock. I turned on my heel and gagged at the thought of congratulating them on a blessed union.